DIY: Wool & Yarn Storage Wall


EN

Where do I like to spend my money mostly on? On food obviously and secondly, yarn. Glossy 100% mercerized cotton preferable!
In over the past years I have quite some collection of yarn and wool at home. I store them in laundry hampers (here) and baskets but they are overflowing and my yarn and wool desperately need a new place for storage.

I could buy a cabinet to store all my yarn and wool but I can also DIY one. Oh yes! And I didn't need any big construction materials at all. Here's my little creation of yarn and wool storage wall!

Time for a little DIY! It's been awhile. 
NL

Waar gaat mijn geld het meest naar toe? Ongetwijfeld naar eten en op de tweede plaats, garen. Glanzend 100% gemerceriseerd katoen als voorkeur! En ik heb al vrij veel in huis en berg ze op in was- en rietenmanden (hier). Eigenlijk vind je overal in huis sporen van wol en garen en deze moeten broodnodig weer geïntegreerd worden in een nieuw opslagplaats.

Hiervoor een kast kopen zou een oplossing zijn. Maar je kan er ook eentje DIY'en. Jawel! En je hebt niet eens zwaar constructie materiaal nodig. Hier beneden laat ik je zien hoe ik mijn berging voor wol en garen maak.

Tijd voor een stevig DIY! 

❝Zweef
de cursor over de tekst
voor Nederlandse
vertaling!
A new home
No more overfilled cramped up baskets and laundry hamper. No more long lost searching. No more mixed up colors. Hello new storage home!
Where does my money mostly go to? Food. And yarn. And believe me this pile here is a fortune!
Wat do you need:
a pegboard // pegboard(shop) hooks // felt sheets (75x50x0,3 cm) // a pencil // a pair of scissors // embroidery thread + needle // a drilling machine + screws // any desired paint and decors to pretty up the pegboard (optional)
Inspired by
rainy days
My favorite days for all my yarn work and projects actually with a big mug of coffee/tea and movies and tv-shows. That`s how I want my yarn storage wall to look like, a wall of rain drops that carries my precious yarn and wool.
I picked a grey color felt because it`s neutral, easy to spot my colorful yarns and usually rainy days are grey am I right?
Here`s how you make these rain drop felt basket!
1. Fold the felt in double lengthwise, trace this folding line down with an pencil for extra guidelines and cut it in half with scissors.
Now you have two pieces of felt.
Attachment is not by glue
But with an easy stitching technique called the `blanket stitch`!
2. To create the raindrop basketsvyou`re going to attach both ends of the the felt patches to each other by blanket stitching. Again a really easy stitch yet stylish stitch too. So how much yarn do you need? Just wrap the yarn 2x around in widthwise around the felt, that you way you know you have enough yarn to work with.

3. Start by threading the yarn through the needle and send the needle on the inside of the felt and poke your needle through the felt and bring it back and put your needle back, but now through both felt sides through the same hole. Hurray the first stitch and attachment is made! On to the next stitch which is basically a repeat.
4. The distance between the first and the second stitch and the rest of course is up to you but preferable 1 cm to 2 cm should be fine. For the next stitch you`re going to bring the needle behind again and poke the needle through (both) felts and pull the needle through until the thread leaves a loop. Bring the needle through the loop (see b and c) from front to back before gently pulling it tight. Then repeat this step to the end!
Painting time!
Of course it`s totally fine to leave your pegboard raw and just the way it is but if you want to fancy it up like I did, then go ahead! Be free!

(make sure you have cover the floor/table with newspaper to avoid staining if you go painting)
Not entirely white (because paint ran out) but it`s pretty nice still.

The hanging part with the drilling machine. *gulp*.
Now this part is quite daunting since I am unfamiliar with a drilling machine so I drilled up my dad to do this part for me.
Dad did a wonderful job!
Almost done just attach the hooks into the holes. You can buy them at a hardware store or online like eBay. I got mine for free by the way! I went to a local hardware store but they don`t sell these shophooks normally. Instead they gave me 10 for free from their own store just to help me out! Super duper kind and my day was made
obviously.
Coloring time!
With yarns and a bit touches of house decorating too. As you can see I went with a rainbow theme. Each rainbow color in the raindrops. Kind of poetic in someway.
This here is my little storage corner with all my craft essentials and I`m super happy with it. It just looks so organized! At least in my eyes.
 

Comments

  1. So pretty and creative! It honestly looks like a feature wall now

    Nat // Dignifiable

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so crafty!! Your yarn storage and display looks beautiful. I feel like many people don't utilise their wall space enough! It's very efficient. -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat een goed idee!! Ik heb nu al mijn garen in van die lelijke plastic bakken, maar dit is echt heel leuk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You might also like...

DIY: Mini Whip Cream

DIY: Crochet banana

DIY: Crochet Miniature Cinnamon Rolls